About the Green Party & AZGP
The Green Party is the 4th largest political party in the United States, with over 200K registered voters and over 100 current elected officials nationwide who believe in our fight for the interests of People, Planet, and Peace over profits. The Arizona Green Party ("AZGP"), founded in 1990, is the officially recognized and accredited affiliate chapter of the Green Party of the United States for the State of Arizona. The AZGP represents all Arizona voters who have designated their party preference as "Green Party" on their AZ Voter Registration.
We are independent, grassroots, and guided by our Four Pillars of Ecology, Democracy, Peace, and Social Justice.
We believe that the many social, economic, and ecological problems plaguing our modern day society are deeply interconnected and, at their root, are either caused or exacerbated by both our commodification of the natural world, as well as through our society's centralization of wealth and political power into the hands of the very few.
What Does it Mean to be "Green"?
"Green politics, at its core, is about a radical commitment to People, Planet, and Peace."
It is a commitment to defending the idea that all of us, no matter who we are, should have equal opportunities to participate in government, and an equal say in what happens in the communities we live in.
It is a commitment to ending cycles of harm in ourselves, in our homes, in our communities, and in our government; and instead making the radical decision to choose diplomacy, forgiveness, peace, and love in the face of conflict.
It is a commitment to fight for a sustainable and ecologically harmonious society, and for the right of future generations to have a habitable, beautiful planet to not just survive on, but to thrive on for many generations to come.
It is a commitment to stand in solidarity with the oppressed peoples and beings of all nations, and to adopt their struggles for freedom and justice as our own, as we would hope they would do for us.
And, above all, it is a commitment to the idea that ordinary people around the world have real power to influence our government and our society when we come together for the Greater Good of us all.
On the Issues
The Arizona Green Party Supports:
- An Eco-Socialist "Green New Deal" to get us off fossil fuels and onto publicly owned renewables through a just transition
- Reducing our energy and commodity consumption to sustainable levels
- Ecological education programs in public schools
- Investing in sustainable public transit systems that are safe, clean, and efficient
- Regulations enforcing & incentivizing sustainable practices in agriculture and other ecologically damaging industries
- Conservation of endangered species & ecosystems
- "Degrowth" policies to reduce overproduction, overconsumption, and waste
- Establishing a circular economy to reduce, reuse, repair, and recycle everything we produce
- Inclusive Ballot Access and Party Recognition Requirements
- Open Debates & Equal Access to Public Media
- Ranked Choice Voting for all Executive Elections
- Proportional Ranked Choice Voting with Multi-Member Districts in non-executive Offices
- Public Financing of Elections, End "Citizens United"
- Transparent, verifiable election administration systems
- "Democracy Vouchers"
- Free all whistleblowers and political prisoners held captive by the United States
- An end to U.S. wars, bringing our armed forces back home, and closing international U.S. military bases
- Drastically reducing the bloated U.S. military budget
- Defunding, demilitarizing, and community control of the police and prison systems.
- Force the Pentagon and the Department of Defense to pay back public funds that they cannot account for
- End all U.S. financial support and arms sales to international human rights abusers and apartheid governments
- Join the U.N. General Assembly in calling for a Ceasefire in Gaza, an end to the embargo on Cuba, etc.
- Commit to nuclear disarmament and a policy of "no-first-use" for nuclear weaponry
- End the practice of unmanned "drone" combat
- Boost supply of international humanitarian aid to those in need in the forms of food, clean water, and medical supplies.
- A Living Wage for ALL workers that is indexed to inflation and the cost of living
- Universal Basic Income (UBI)
- Negative income tax (NIT) that reverses the federal income tax for those who fall below the federal poverty line
- Support the right of all workers to collectively bargain and join a union
- Quality, universal healthcare provided through a publicly owned National Health Service
- Reparations for American descendants of chattel slavery
- Provide amnesty & a pathway to citizenship for all tax-paying undocumented residents
- Decriminalization of all drugs, legalization of those with therapeutic potential
- Recognition of drug addiction as a public health issue, not a criminal issue
- "Land Back" for Indigenous Communities & Full Indigenous Sovereignty
- Universal housing and rent control programs, "housing first" policies
- Zoning & Land Use reform to address the housing crisis
- Universal child-care/elder-care services
- Fully-funded public schools that provide tuition-free kindergarten through post-secondary education
- Provide free Breakfast/Lunch to all public school students, end "school lunch debt"
- Comprehensive, age-appropriate, and LGBTQIA+ inclusive sex education, including content regarding relationships & consent
- Cancellation of Student & Medical Debt
- Science and equity-based solutions to Covid-19 and other global pathogens
- Protecting bodily & medical autonomy for ALL people
- Full equality and legal protections for the LGBTQIA+ community
- Common sense safety regulations on firearm ownership
The Arizona Green Party Opposes:
- Capitalism, Fascism, Neoliberalism, & Eco-Fascism
- The failed "War on Drugs"
- More money for wars of U.S. aggression
- Expansion of the U.S. empire through neocolonialism
- Racism, classism, and cis-heteropatriarchy
- Overproduction & Waste
- Unnecessary overconsumption
- All bans on immigration/migration
- Creation of a wall or other physical barrier at any of our borders
- Private prisons & policies of mass incarceration
- Corporate control of our economy/elections
- Lowering taxes on the wealthiest Americans
- Restrictions on the right to an abortion, "forced birth" policies
- Restrictions on the LGBTQIA+ community's right to live and love as they are
- ESA Voucher programs that funnel public dollars to private schools
- Environmentally destructive industrial & agricultural practices (animal agriculture, monoculture, logging, strip mining, etc.)
Join The Arizona Green Party!
Register Green. The more people who register Green, the stronger the Green Party and the louder our voice.
Become a Member. The Green Party refuses all corporate contributions, so dues-paying members play a vital role ensuring our state and local organizations have the resources needed to build the party. Green members are committed to Green principles and a spirit of activism, and we show this by investing in the Green Party. Like union members, Green Party members identify with the key values of our organization; so we invest in it, are afforded a voice and a vote in it, and are a part of something that benefits the whole.
Subscribe to receive email announcements.